Why do we need to do pelvic floor exercises?
Much like your arm, leg or abdominal muscles, the pelvic floor muscles can be trained and strengthened with a regular exercise programme.
Strengthening your pelvic floor muscles can help you:
- improve bladder and bowel control
- reduce the likelihood of accidentally leaking
- reduce the risk of prolapse
- in women, this may be felt as a bulge in the vagina or a feeling of heaviness, discomfort, pulling, dragging or dropping
- in men, this may be felt as a bulge in the rectum or a feeling of needing to use their bowels but not actually needing to go
- improve recovery from childbirth and gynaecological surgery (in women)
- improve recovery after prostate surgery (in men)
- increase sexual sensation and orgasmic potential, and
- increase social confidence and quality of life.